Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Making of Skin Füd ...

I made a 100% coconut oil liquid soap last week with zero superfat and using only KOH. 32 oz of CO (run thru soap calc) was diluted with 128 oz of water ... and after 3 days it is amazing for laundry soap and dish soap (better than Dawn). I wanted one for hands & hair ...

This recipe is one I adapted from a group post on Facebook, using dual lye, that was supposed to be really easy to work with; making a creamy soap that could be either a shampoo or a hand soap, depending on how much it was diluted. It's really, really soft on my hands after having been testing and washing with it all day.

14 oz water
1 1/2 Tbsp fine grain sea salt
3.2 oz KOH
2.2 oz NaOH

11.2 oz avocado oil
4.8 oz shea butter
4.8 oz cocoa butter
4.8 oz palm oil
3.2 oz coconut oil
3.2 oz castor oil

My personal notes: 

Cooked all of that in crockpot on high until it was a paste. Original recipe called for 1st dilution to be 128 oz water ... I went with adding 64 oz of room temp water for 1st dilution (because my crock only holds 6 qts and I wanted to be able to work with it). Turned off crock, blended in water, covered and let sit overnight.

The next morning, I discovered a giant jello soap lump. Carved out 64 oz, added 64 oz water (gradually add this in 8 oz amts) + 8 oz vegetable glycerin + 1.5 oz combined preservatives. Whipped with stick blender at room temp (76 degrees). Let it sit overnight to rest. If it looks like slime in the morning, add water in 4 oz increments until it no longer looks like snot. Let it sit another 24 hrs before scenting and bottling. I used 1 full oz of a natural fragrance to the 128 oz batch.

And with the last 48 oz of soap jello, I went with a 1 1/2x dilution, no glycerin, 1.5 oz combined preservatives, and split into 3 parts because I wanted 3 different scent types. I let it rest overnight before pouring into bottles. If it looks like snot in the morning, add small amounts of water, hand blended in, until you get it to where you want. It will thicken up a bit, due to the NaOH in the recipe.


I went with this recipe because I wanted to create a high-end shampoo and hand soap that would be highly beneficial to the human body ... one without the other crap so many other people keep putting in the recipes to make it exotic. I wanted it simple enough that I could relate to it ... and not have to fuss with adding citric acid to thicken or drop the PH ... the NaOH keeps the PH of this lower. I don't have a lot of patience for liquid soap, so I was guided to a recipe that felt just like stepping into a tried and true CP soap recipe. 

And now that I've worked out most of the dilution hurdles, I think I have a winner!




Please note: my secondary dilution water amounts are guestimates off the top of my head ... I know that the total 2nd dilution for the shampoo was 1 1/4x (including 8 oz veg glycerin & preservatives) and the total 2nd dilution for the hand soap was 1 1/2x (including preservatives).

I preserve my lotions and liquids using a blend of tetrasodium glutamate diacetate, leuconostoc, safflower oleosomes, and aspen bark extract. These are plant based preservatives and are known to be beneficial to the human body.


If you want to see the video we published on YouTube ... you can see this here:  https://youtu.be/E6ZNZv71JyY

No comments:

Post a Comment